The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) seeks applications for an Assistant Research Scientist to lead our Data Science Team. This is a non-tenure track research faculty position through the University of Maryland. Successful candidates will be located at SESYNC’s facilities in Annapolis, MD. The candidate will provide leadership and management of our data science team and conduct independent research. Ideally the research will be related to center activities. Time available for research will vary but should average about 30%. The successful candidate will interact with SESYNC researchers to understand their computational needs and provide support, to oversee data agreements as needed, contribute to teaching and serve as a national representative of SESYNC. We seek proactive individuals with a desire to learn and apply new computational tools. Must enjoy managing team personnel and communicating with visiting researchers.
- Ph.D. in relevant disciplines
- Experience using R or Python for data management and analysis
- Specialization in one or more computational areas (e.g., advanced statistical methods, GIS, dynamical systems agent based modeling)
- Management and independent research experience
- Exceptional verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact with researchers
- Willingness to play a leadership role in a service-oriented center
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Submit a cover letter describing unique qualifications for position, C.V., and names of three professional references as a single PDF below. Apply by 5pm ET on January 14, 2019 for best consideration.
The University of Maryland, College Park, actively subscribes to a policy of equal employment opportunity, and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, age, gender, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, religion, national origin, or political affiliation. Minorities and women are strongly encouraged to apply.